Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Major Meltdown

Thursday was not a good day around my house. You know the book Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day...yeah it should have been my name instead of Alexanders!

Thursday I had my dress fitting. I was nervous, excited and a whole bundle of emotions. I was nervous because I was going to be seeing myself in my dress the way I will see myself in 45 days (not that I'm counting or anything!). For some reason that just made me feel like it was so much more real. I was excited because as you all know I've been blogging on Tuesday Tummy Tuck and working to lose weight. So far I've lost 35 lbs and so I was excited to see how the dress was going to look on me all pinned up and skinny like :)

That all came to a screeching halt when she pinned the dress. Here I am before any pinning...you can tell it's big on me



Then she started pinning and my heart started racing...here you can see my face where clearly it is a fake smile!



And here the dress is all pinned in...you can see that clearly I have lost lots of weight! YAY!!



Then came the bombshell! Since I had lost weight, it was going to be $291 to alter my dress! That was as much as my dress was in the first place. You are supposed to pay for the alterations right then well I had no idea that it was going to be that much...I budgeted like $50-$100 for alterations...not an entire new dress! So needless to say I was sad, I was pissed and I didn't know what to do. I felt like I was being punished for losing the weight. I feel great and I feel like I look great...I'm not perfect yet, but I'm happy with myself and then it was like well hell I might as well gain all the damn weight back! Definitely not going to do that so I guess I have to eat $291!!

I tried to figure out if I wanted to take it to another shop...but if I did and they messed it up I don't know what I would do...not sure if I could get another dress here in time and I would be stuck paying for it. If I left it at David's Bridal and they messed up, they are responsible for paying for it! Then I had the idea to trade it in for a smaller size. I ordered my dress in a size 16. They say that for every 20lbs you lose you go down a dress size and by they I mean David's Bridal. So technically I would be about a size 12 (I'm five lbs off of losing 40lbs!). I tried on the 12 and it was way too tight...it zipped but I wouldn't have been able to breathe at all. Then I tried on a 14 and it fit funny! It was too big around my boobs and it fit tight across my stomach. So what sense does that make?? You see how much she is taking in on the sides, but the next size down didn't fit right either! SO ANNOYING!!!!

So for my own peace of mind, I decided to just leave it where it is and have them do the alterations. I'm going to talk to the manager and find out if my dress was really a size 16...I'm starting to think there was a possibility that it was cut wrong and it was really a larger size. I mean how do they take that much in on the sides and stuff and the next size smaller dress doesn't even fit right? Makes absolutely no sense. Plus I was never told how much alterations could be...I knew I would have to pay for alterations but I was informed when I went back in on Thursday night that I should have been told an approximation of alterations.

So that was my dress meltdown! I was able to come home that night and find something that sent my night into an even bigger emotional spin...but that you can read about in the next post!! :)

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

That is frustrating, but at least your dress will be perfect just to your body. It is beautiful and you look beautiful in it.

Anonymous said...

No! No! No!
This is not a meltdown. THIS IS A CELEBRATION of how much they have to take the dress in because YOU LOOK AWESOME!!!
AWESOME!!!
I am so fricking happy for you...yeah the extra money sucks but think how gorgeous you are going to look on your wedding day and in the pictures. I'm so happy for you!!! XOXO

Jen said...

OMG Angie that SUCKS! However, when I bought my dress (At David's Bridal)the ONLY alterations I had done was the hemline- I took it up about an inch, maybe an inch and a half and it was OVER $100. I thought it was ridiculous. It's not like I even had the sides taken in or out. I was pissed. Sorry!