Friday, February 01, 2008

Chapter 14: Sworn to Secrecy

I knew immediately that I had to make her swear not to say a word. For some reason at this time, I still wasn't ok with our friends knowing. They are so judgemental and I just didn't want to hear all the shit we were going to get for hooking up and actually liking each other. It is much easier to spill your guts to a complete stranger than it is to your bestest friends isn't it? Yes I think so too.

I made an immediate date with Teela for lunch and stressed over and over that she could NOT tell anyone in this group of friends that she knew anything about me and Dave hooking up or that I liked him. She had to let on that she knew NOTHING! Being the great friend that she is, she immediately assured me that she wouldn't say anything, but that she thought it was silly for us not to tell our friends. Yes Yes I know this. Now while it's easy to spill your guts to a total stranger, it's not so easy to give them your trust and assurance that she really wouldn't say anything.

Things were immediately complicated again when Teela and Eric started dating! There was no way she would keep this from her boyfriend...I knew I was tanked at this point. But I was wrong. Teela kept her end of the bargain and lied for me weekly. She NEVER told any of our friends, including Eric about Dave and I. She only said she knew anything after we had told every last friend that we were together. Eric was a little peeved but she said look I swore to her and it was important. She's a girl you could trust with your life here folks! It might have been a small secret to her, but it was the plans to nuclear warfare to me!

It made me feel so much better knowing I was able to have someone to vent to and get an opinion from when I wanted to kick Dave in the balls for being a jackass. We emailed daily and she helped me through so much. I was able to get another take on it and know that I wasn't losing my mind because she too saw how Dave was around me and how he changed when the boys started to say stuff. That made me feel better to know someone else saw it. And it was just her being nice, because there were times that you will hear about that she told me to just get over him. Her and I had numerous inside jokes so we could communicate to each other if everyone was around. My birthday present that she gave me was like she had known me forever. The card was priceless and I still have it to this day. It was chuck full of our inside jokes and made my birthday a little better (my mom died 5 days before my birthday)

And Teela, the person I had only met one month earlier, was the person who worked 4 shifts of 10s so she could have the Friday off to come to my mom's funeral. A much better friend than Steve don't you think...oh wait you don't know...that's another chapter to come! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm see glad you found such a good friend. True friends are like rare jewels.

Listen woman your cliffhangers are KILLING ME!!!!

Shawna said...

A friend like that is hard to come by. Did her and her dude get hitched?