Monday, June 30, 2008

Chapter 29: Our First Christmas

We are jumping about 6 months ahead here...nothing real significant happened. We lived together and enjoyed it. It was time for our first Christmas. I love Christmas...it's my favorite. We got a tree and decorated it. Since I didn't have very many ornaments, we decided to go shopping for ornaments and decided we would pick out a few cute ones. We got "our first" christmas together ornament and the lady wrote our names and the year on it. Then we got a few other cute ones that we liked.

We were totally becoming that cute little couple. We did all the cutsie romantic things together and he was actually coming around to like this whole relationship thing. There was still just one thing missing...he had yet to say I love you.

I had said it plenty of times, but I backed off. You know you normally said it once a day or at least every other day to the one you love right. Well not me...I said it on days where I felt like I was going to burst if I didn't say it and then every once in a while. It sucks saying I love you to someone and not hearing it back. It would make for a very awkward moment you know. I figured he had come so far that if I had to wait a little longer than I expected to hear I love you then so be it. I didn't want to push him to say it, I wanted him to say it when he meant it.

Christmas Eve we opened our presents. He got me a few cute shirts and some other things that I had wanted. He actually did pretty good for being our first Christmas and then he got me a card. It was of course a funny sarcastic card, but the words he wrote on the inside were far from sarcastic and funny. He wrote the sweetest message about how I had changed his life and he was so glad that I was in it...you know all the mushy stuff that we girls swoon over. At the very bottom, he wrote I love you and signed his name. It was the best Christmas present I could have ever asked for. Of course I got all teary eyed because I knew he meant it. For the first time in my life I didn't feel like someone was just saying that to me to because enough time had passed. I felt like he truly loved me and it was a wonderful feeling.

**Little side note here, at our engaged encounter for the church, we had to write when we knew we loved our soon to be spouse. Dave actually wrote that he knew he loved me when we were on our first trip to Arizona when he was moving (he followed that sentence with a don't even ask why it took me so long to say it haha!). That's a whole year before he actually said it!! Ironically enough he also knew that I loved him when I agreed to go on that trip with him.**

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too cute! What a special way to finally say , "I Love you!"

misguidedmommy said...

awwwwwww that little side note is my favorite part