Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Quick Update

Ok this must be a quick MIL update. The soon to be hubby is in the garage working and I can type about the MIL while he is out there. I wanted to clarify that his mom isn't actually 4-wheeling on 4-wheelers...she is 4 wheeling in her jeep! Even better for the drinking and driving right...but you know she is apparently invincible...or at least she was until today.

Dave got a call that she was going to have surgery to have her gallbladder removed. You are all going to seriously go oh my god you are an awful person, but I'm going to be honest here folks...I can't even say I felt bad. It's like karma come around full force. That certainly didn't go over well with Dave...whoops! It was like she was trying to have this cry for attention because she was being all dramatic about it. Ok I probably would have been too if they were taking my gallbladder away, but I digress. She kept talking about how the boyfriend was going to be there and if we couldn't get ahold of her then we needed to call his phone because he would be all up to date! GAG!

EEEERRRRCHHHHHHH

I put a screeching halt to that shit right then and there. As a matter of fact we just got off the phone with her and I told her she needed to knock that shit off. First of all, she hasn't known this guy all that long...2 months max. He certainly doesn't need to be making major medical decisions for her should something go wrong. They aren't married and he should have no say in her medical decisions. Her daughter should be there with her...I know that role. Your parents are in the hospital and you should be there with them. Patty knows this role too and would agree that at times you need to be advocates for your parents and you certainly dont' need some trashy ass boyfriend in there making the decisions (ok I don't even know the guy so I should probably give him the benefit of the doubt for being a decent guy, but eh). While talking to her tonight we find out that it's actually a cyst on her liver and they are going to run more tests on her tomorrow to see what exactly is going on. The woman is scared and when I talked to her on the phone, I softened and felt bad. See I'm not as bad as you all thought I was going to turn out to be now am I! I quickly remembered that daughter at the hospital role and remembered that when you are scared, they are twice as scared and you need to be there for support. Well then..I guess I must assume that role again. Dave had called Kayla and told her that I made this really good point (apparently I didn't get too far on his bad side) about Rod not being allowed to make decisions about her. I said you know telling Kayla isn't enough...you really need to tell your mom. She is all oogly googly over him right now like a kid in high school...she probably named him at least 10 times just while I was talking to her! It's Rod this and Rod that...does Rod even know if you would like to be resuscitated or if you would like to be DNR?? Yeah I'm sure that was something clearly discussed on your first date right...NO! Well she was like oh I told him everything and I just listed him in case of emergency so they will tell him what's going on...yeah and then they will expect him to make that emergency call decision!!! Dave seemed to think that I needed to be the one to tell her this and I'm not sure why...I'll figure that out after I finish writing!

So anyway...tomorrow there are tests with radiation and hemascans (I think that's what they were called) and hopefully they would know more. I would greatly like my nurse friends Shawna and Lainey to weigh in on this topic and tell me what they think. I told her I thought she was too stressed at her job. You would think she was a lawyer or doctor. She runs a GoodWill...honestly it will go on without her. She was even getting calls about work at the hospital for gosh sakes...until the nurse said no more! So anyway my nursing friends...do tell what you know about this little situation. I'll keep you all up to date!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'm so glad that Eli's mom isn't like that...

Shawna said...

I don't know much about liver cysts. I think they are usually benign, but could lead to discomfort if they grow and sometimes lead to something more serious, like cancer. Knowing her history with alcohol use tells me her liver probably isn't in the best of shape. But like I said I really don't know. The tests she is having will probably give a more accurate picture of what exactly is going on.

As far as making executive decisions I don't know the legalities of that either. Lainey probably knows the laws on that better then I do. I think it would be next of kin (ie her children, if not married), not some guy she has known for 2 months.

She sounds so frustrating.