Monday, June 30, 2008

Chapter 28: Living On Our Own

Wow it's been a really long time since I posted about our little love story!! SORRY!! I did intentionally take a small break from it just because of where I was in the story. That still brings up very yucky feelings and makes the anger come rushing back to me. So for the sake of my sanity, I thought I needed to take a small break from the story...however I didn't intend that it would be this long of a break :( For those of you that need a refresher you can go here to chapter 27 and here to chapter 27 and a half.

The school year quickly came to an end. Elizabeth was going to be moving up to Washington to be with her husband since her contract at the school had ended. She was excited but I was a little bummed to have her be leaving. I really enjoyed her company and had a blast working with her and living with her. We joked that we were the lesbians at our school because we would drive to school together everyday and then we lived together. If people didn't know why she was living with me or why she didn't ever drive herself, I'm sure we looked a bit funny.

So Elizabeth moves out and now it's just me and Dave at the house. He was still struggling to define this "relationship" that he was in and wasn't sure what to do about actually calling me his girlfriend. It's been so long since I wrote about our story, I don't remember if I explained his fear. I'm sure I did but here it is again. You see just dating me and not defining it was a safe ground. If he labeled me as his girlfriend then for sure this would fail and all his relationship fears would come true. With Elizabeth gone, we had a lot of time to ourselves (obviously!) He got to where he would be more cuddly on the couch with me and he was starting to do things around the apartment like he lived there too. You see there was another glich...he never claimed to "live" with me. He would tell people including me that he was just staying there with me. Um ok...you never leave and you buy groceries and most of your clothes are here....but no he didn't live there in case you were wondering.

One night we were sitting on the couch and we were just talking. We were talking about the label of girlfriend and boyfriend and I explained to him that for me, without the label, that meant that there were no boundaries. I mean if he technically wasn't my boyfriend, then I could go on a date with another guy and sleep with him for all he cared because well I had no boundaries...he wasn't my boyfriend. And the same could be said for him (which he apparently used in the early parts as we so have read!!). He didn't much care for this thought and when I put it like this to him, he finally decided that he was going to give me the label that I so desired. Of course he didn't just come out and say yes we are boyfriend and girlfriend because that would have been too easy and a bit on the 12 year old side. He said something along the lines of well you already know you are my girlfriend, it's pretty obvious don't you think? I just have never called you that. Basically his theory was if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then it is a duck. We were dating, living together and being exclusive. Obviously we were boyfriend and girlfriend!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OH guys are too freaking funny!