Saturday, March 10, 2007

Girls VS Boys

Something that I have been wanting to blog about for a while now is the difference between girls and boys. Ok I am aware that this could be a very long blog, but there is just one thing that I find so funny that differs between the two sexes. Let me give you an example:
A girl is out of running errands while her boyfriend is out golfing with the boys (and no this example is not about me!). She expects to come home and have just her boyfriend and their roommate there and have a nice relaxing night. To her surprise, she comes home to a house full of boys who are watching the UFC fight. Her boyfriend says, oh sorry I forgot to tell you we rented the fight. This calm girl was annoyed but chose to blow it off and just forget about it (see told you it wasn't about me I would have been bitchy!) As the fight wraps up, her boyfriend proceeds to ask the boys if they are ready. Again to her surprise, the boys are going into Reno (they live in Fernley) to play poker. She is upset because he didn't tell her, he is upset because he didn't know he had to check in. So here is my question...

Why is it that the exact same act is seen as a simple consideration from a girls point of view and is seen as "checking in" in a negative way from a boys point of view?

This example came from my friend Jamie, but I have had several instances of it myself. Something so simple as saying hey I'm going to play golf this Saturday or hey we are grabbing drinks after the game today is considerate in my book. I don't feel like Dave is checking in with me because he has to, I see it as a consideration so that I don't worry when he's not home when he said he would. Or if you are running late, a simple call to say hey we didn't leave when we thought we will be about another hour more. Consideration. Coming from a guy point of view (or at least the guys in our group) this is RIDICULOUS and annoying of the girlfriend to ask for. They are grown ass men and they don't need to check in...we aren't their mothers after all. True, but is it so much to ask for a little consideration?

I mean even when I lived with my friend Monica, I would call and say hey I'm not going to be home for dinner or leave the house and say I'm running to Target. I never once thought of this as checking in with her, but more of being considerate in case she wanted to do something or maybe needed something from the store I was running to. I think if you live with someone it is just common sense to let them know where you are going. But maybe that's just me or girls in general.

I believe it is this exact issue that causes the fights in our group of friend's relationships. Something so simple to fix is at a stalemate when it comes to the two sexes. We think the boys are irrational because it's so simple, they think we are annyoing trying to check up on them. Apparently, however, Dave has finally learned this simple little trick.

Thursday night Kenny stayed with us. I don't mind when Kenny stays with us, but there is always a five minute tension for me to get over from the past. It doesn't take me long and I'm fine, but after our little episode from a while ago, I can only take him in little doses. So Friday Dave texted me and asked if I had any plans for the night of if I wanted to do anything because Kenny wanted to come over and have Dave help him take off his tint on his windows. The simple consideration was astounding. I said I didn't and I didn't care if he came over but that I really appreciated that he gave me some heads up or considered if I might want to do something first before just TELLING me that Kenny was coming over and they had plans. I appreciated the simple act. When he got home that night I said it again and just said see how something so little and simple can aleviate any possible fighting or irriations? I can only hope that these simple acts continue and that the difference between consideration and checking in has finally become clear to him.

2 comments:

misguidedmommy said...

if u can find the solution to this you will be my hero!!!!!!

angie said...

I have concluded after much research there is no solution and the answer is simply because they are pains in the ass!