Friday, August 24, 2007

Boy weekends

Dave is hunting this weekend and next weekend he will be at Burning Man. There's your background.

This weekend I was slightly peeved about because he always helps me the Saturday before school starts in my room just to be an extra set of eyes and make sure I"m all ready to go or help me move stuff around at the last minute. Then we spend all day Sunday just relaxing...we usually have a nice breakfast together and then do something before life gets crazy with school (because usually he has had school but now he is done). BUT (and Shannon will be so proud...her mentoring has paid off!) he was nice and told me about being invited to go and his interest in going on Monday...he didn't spring it on me like he normally does the night before. Then he said a big word that I am pretty sure has never left his mouth... COMPROMISE! He said well I was thinking that we could compromise and I could come help you during the week after I get off work so that at least you still have my help. Whoa! I was a little caught off guard. Admittedly I was peeved and he knew...but I couldn't throw a fit and make him feel guilty so he wouldn't go. Way back I probably would have. Shannon has helped me to become a better person in my relationship, showing me how to compromise even more than I think I am and how to just let him be sometimes. But I knew this weekend had to be different...he did everything I have ever asked of him when it comes to the boy weekend stuff by not springing it on me and by helping me still so that we both got things done we needed to. So he just left for that trip. Next weekend is burning man and there is no questions about that...I would never plan something that weekend because I just know that is his favorite thing to do and I would never ever try to stop that weekend...

This brings me to boy weekends. One of the guy teachers at my school, you know the one with the wife that freaked out because I gave him a ride, said that he would basically have his balls cut off if he got two boy weekends in a row! He had two weekends where he played softball in a row and she is still giving him greif over it. I do have to admit that I will miss spending my weekends with Dave just because the first few weeks of school are hectic...but it's two weekends. It's not like months or anything...

So I'm wondering about all the married folks out there and how you all feel about the "boy weekend" or whatever you would like to call it. I never thought that I was "giving" Dave permission to have two weekends in a row, but then we don't have kids...this other couple has kids too so that might change things (although the dog is freaking out because Dave is gone and that is about the same to me as a kid right now ha!) I didn't think it was THAT big of a deal but apparently in some marriages it is...

So how does everyone out there feel?

3 comments:

misguidedmommy said...

for rob every weekend is a guy weekend...he has never gotten in trouble till i got pregnant and hormonal...but even so he still gets his way..i just pout some! it was very hard when he would be gone though while i was on bed rest..thats when i got a little touchy

Stephanie said...

I say that it is hard to have them away, but in the same sense, a little time away from each other is healthy.

Jen said...

Erick doesn't have guy weekends. He never has since I have known him.. That could be because all of the guys that he used to go out and do things with have now either, moved away or gotten married and had kids. Erick's "guy time" is typically when he is on the road working because part of his job is to go partying and drinking with clients.. so by the time he gets home from being gone on business he would for SURE get the stink eye if he tried to go have a weekend alone with his GUYS- (especially because he doesn't really HAVE guys... because his guys all have wives and the wives are all friends with each other and with me so we all do things together)... But yeah- I really don't think that it is that big of a deal at ALL in your case. Burning Man is planned year-round, and something else came up that he wanted to do and hey- he still has a right to do things he enjoys. I think you handled it VERY WELL!