Tuesday, January 08, 2008

The Flood

Alright...I'm finally back. I managed to make it through that night with only 2 drinks and even though Shannon said I should have lots of Hershey kisses I managed not to have any that night...I saved them for the morning and even then I only had 3. Irregardless it was the day and weekend from hell!
Dave's dad sustained much less damage than others on his street. He is on Jenny's Lane and other people that were closer to Farm District Road were the ones that had their houses flooded out and their cars floating in the street. The water never made it in house, but it did get about 8-10 inches in the garage. Dave was lucky that his 68 Camero baby didn't get any damage (well not that we can see now he hasn't started it yet to see if water got in the motor or in the inside of the car). The water also got in the crawl space and ruined the insulation down there as well as all of the plastic. Again, there wasn't near what he thought would be there, but there was still a lot of water down there. The problem they are having is that it won't dry out. Because of the time of year, it's hard to dry it out. If they can't get it completely dried out they run the risk of the toxic mold that can grow. The same goes for the garage. His backyard is completely trashed...all of the stuff that was out back there is garbage too. Fortunately he didn't have lawn back there...it was just a big dirt backyard with all of his stuff back there (he had a few cars and a trailer for burning man as well as a bunch of other stuff that I"m not sure what he does with). Enough with the story...here are some of the pictures that you can see for yourself:

Mike's house (Dave's dad in case you didn't follow that haha) as we drove down the street...yes we are driving through the very deep water.

Mike's house from across the street...you can see the road isn't covered in this spot and the water had gone down even before we had arrived. You can see the water line on the tree.

Standing in his driveway looking up the "better" part of the road. When we first got there you couldn't see the little fence post in the bottom right corner.
Looking to the "bad" part of the road...the opposite way of above. It is around that curve where the houses were hit the hardest. Everyone knee deep in the water in the backyard
The house on the corner next to Mike's house

And my personal favorite...the man paddling his boat down the street with his snow shovel!

Sorry all the pictures got all crunched together...blogger should really make loading pictures much more user friendly!

When my principal asked how my weekend was I told him I had to go to Fernley. Being the absolutely wonderful man he is, he said what can we do to help Dave's dad? I was a little taken aback because I didn't think he would be like oh let's do something to help him. So next Wednesday, January 16, we are having a spaghetti feed for Dave's dad at my school. It is also for 3 of his neighbors that were hit by the flood waters. It will be from 6-8 and we will be serving spaghetti, salad and bread. Any of you local Reno gals, if you feel like coming out let me know and I'll give you details. I just think it's cool that my principal even thought to do something. Oh we are also showing a movie...it's $10 for a family or $2 a person. You get to pick from the 2 different movies we will be showing too. It should be a fun night and hopefully it will be a good turn out!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Wow that is crazy. My aunt and uncle live out there, but luckily missed damage by like a street or two. I bet it was crazy being out there first hand!

Anonymous said...

Indirect forced air heaters will dryout the homes. Not hard to do. I sell them but I'm sure you can also rent them in the area. Have them call me and I can explain. Also Home Depot carries a product called Mold Control. Its in the tool rental section. Treat all wet areas with this product. Mold Control is EPA registered and completely safe to use.

Ken
602-723-2534