Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Lucky Me

I promise this will turn into the post that the last one was supposed to be. The last post needed to be written because I think that it was this years Christmas that really made me get all mushy gushy about Dave. It was the time we spent together that we just nice. Lame word I know, but I don't know how else to put it.

This year we spent New Years Eve together. Just the two of us. We were invited to a few friends' houses and it would have been a lot of fun. But the more we sat and talked about it, the more we both just wanted to stay home. We went to Wal-Mart and bought a few board games, came home, watched movies played our games and then watched the ball drop. That was our exciting New Years. But I must say...for as simple as it was, it was probably my favorite New Years with Dave yet. We laughed almost the entire night. We teased each other about the game we were playing...mostly because I am a sore loser and Dave always says can't you just let me win just once!!

Yesterday we went and got some games for the Wii...We spent the day playing games and again, just spending time together. I don't think we have done that in a while. We are usually with friends or just watching TV and while we are together when we do those things, we tend to not talk much watching TV. But the last two days we spent together we did nothing but talk. We talked about the wedding, we talked about kids (that's a whole other blog that he would probably kill me for writing), we talked about our goals for the year...we just talked. After we were done playing games, he was messing around on the Wii. He said, "You know I left you a message on here one day." I said really...I didn't know you could do that! "Yeah you can, and I had really hoped that you would find it while I wasn't home" Hmm...now I'm thinking to myself...if I didn't know that you could leave messages, why in the hell would I look for one. He said I would have to find it on my own but I made him show it to me anyway. He wrote this..

Hi honey...you are the best! I can't wait to be your husband!

And that little statement made me realize everything I had been thinking all weekend. It put it all into perspective. I have this wonderful man that I am going to marry (this year by the way people!). He loves me for me. There are plenty of things that drive him nuts about me, but he still loves me anyways. He picks up the house all the time. I like to do our laundry on the weekends, but if he comes home from work one night and there is some to do, he will throw in a load. He doesn't expect me to do all of these things just because I'm the girl. He does just as much around the house if not more than me. He cooks dinner for us. And when I get really excited about a dinner I want to try...he eats it and always says how good it is, even if sometimes it probably isn't! Dave listens to the things I say...and he actually hears me. I have always talked about wanting one of those log beds and never in a million years thought I would have one. Nor did I think Dave would just buy me one! He is doing extra hours and helping this guy that is making the bed whenever he needs help. The guy said he would pay him and Dave said just knock it off the bed. He isn't doing this because I sit around 24/7 saying that I really want this bed. He did it because he knows that I have always wanted one and he thought it would be a nice gift. He was just as excited to give it to me as I was to receive it. And then he always makes me cute little things. I think every couple has something that is special just to them. Shannon has told stories of the rocks that Rob collects for her. Dave makes me little things. Like the little bed so I had something to open. I would never think of something like that. We always play songs for each other. Sometimes they are silly and sometimes they are really sweet.

Sometimes (this is about to get sappy fyi!) I just sit on the couch and look over at him and I can't help but smile. I am overwhelmed with happiness when I think that I get to spend the rest of my life looking at that face. (I know Jen knows what I mean because she loves looking at her husband too haha...I know I remember reading a blog like that!) Or when we are driving I just smile looking at him. Don't get me wrong...I think he is damn right adorable so of course I like to look at him. But usually I just glance over and think to myself, I am going to get to wake up to that forever. I will get to see that smile and in turn smile because of how happy he makes me.

He is starting to get more excited about the whole wedding thing too now. I know he is excited to marry me and he isn't going to be all jazzed about the planning like I am, but he is happy to be my husband. He calls me his almost wifey sometimes and he will no longer refer to me as his girlfriend. He always calls me his fiance. I still call him my boyfriend because sometimes fiance feels so silly to say. When we were talking about my niece the other day he referred to her as his niece, and when my nephew wrote on my wedding website that he was happy that Dave was going to be his uncle, Dave got teary eyed (no he will not admit that to you, but he did and does often because he is very sentimental!)

Dave came into my life at the exact perfect time. I met him almost a year right before my mom died. I was dating Jonathan at the time, and while our relationship wasn't hell, we were both in it at that point because we needed the stability of each other. We cared about each other, but I'm sure we weren't in love with each other still. I started spending time with Dave as our group of friends and there was an instant attraction. He was fun, he was funny and he was clearly adorable! I started talking about him all the time and while my mom at first thought I liked my friend Steve because we were always together for school, she quickly figured out that it was Dave making me happy. She once asked who the boy who was putting the smile back on her daughters face was. That day we made a picture collage together with pictures of me and Dave and all of our other friends and my mom would cut out things from the magazine that said things like Secret Lovers and kept it hush hush and what happens between them stays between them. This was after Jonathan and I came clean about not wanting to be together anymore and let her know that we were taking a break...most likely a permenant one. Back to where I was going...my mom knew that I had found someone great. She met him only once. But I think she will be happy for me when I marry him. She will know that I am happy and that I am taken care of. She will know that my family loves him and accepts him. Dave was my moms way of saying it's ok to let go of everything honey...let go of the past (Jonathan) and when it's time let go of me. There is someone here for you and he is going to be the best thing that happened to you. And I think she was right...because I sure am lucky to be marrying him. And with this...I think I will write the story of me and Dave. Jen, Shannon Julia and Emery have all done theres...so I say why not...I will write the story of how Dave and I came to be. Hopefully I will be good about writing it and hopefully it will be as entertaining as everyone elses! I will do my best to break them into chapters that are short and not go on forever like I have done today!
I will leave you of my favorite picture of Dave from Christmas...not sure why it is my favorite, but it is!
Oh and that's the kind of picture frame my kids made for the parents...I made one for Dave of us to put in his stocking...it has puzzle pieces glued all around them!

5 comments:

Lainey-Paney said...

We love board games.
:)

misguidedmommy said...

might be your longest post ever. i love it. and you know what i'm so damn glad to hear that i am not the only one who just sits on my couch staring at my husband loving him....i always thought i was such a dork or overly lovy because i did that...so glad to knw i'm not alone. and that little bed is too fucking cute

Stephanie said...

Very good post and very touching. And you and Shannon aren't the only ones that look at their man and smile on the couch. I am very guilty myself!!!!

Shawna said...

It sounds like you have a good man. I can't wait to read more of you guys "love story".

Anonymous said...

I'ms so happy for you and I can't wait to read your story. I'm glad he cam into your life at the perfect time :)