Sunday, February 11, 2007

The Grocery Store -- My Enemy

OK so I have a slight issue with going to the grocery store. Actually I absolutely hate it. Aside from trying to fight the people, I hate spending that much money all at one time on food. I can remember going grocery shopping with my family every Saturday morning and I can remember spending on the average $100 a week for three people. That's $400 a month!!

We go grocery shopping once every 3-4 weeks. Since there is just the two of us, what we get at the grocery store usually lasts us right about a month. Now we spend anywhere from $140-$160 every time we go. Dave is totally fine with this. I on the other hand turn into cranky mccrank pants and just detest everything he puts in the cart. I refuse to shop without a list and then when something is placed in the cart that is not on the list I get annoyed. Guess who puts 90% of that stuff in the cart...yeah ME! No matter how much I stay to my list, I always put something else in the cart. We went to Winco today and we spent $152. I was shocked considering that we didn't get as much as we usually do and we still spent the same amount of money. I cringe literally every time a checker hits the total button and Dave just laughs. Let me break this down for you...

Today's trip: $152 and some change
That is an average of $40 per week (yeah I rounded up)
That is an average of roughly $6 per day for two people to eat.

Yeah I am aware that spending that much money for a month's worth of groceries really isn't that much. I'm sure that other families spend much more...especially families with children. I either need to shop more often so that I don't see such a high total and I feel better because I FEEL like I didn't spend that much when in all reality I'm probably spending more or I just need to get over my weird quirk. I seriously tried to get out of going to the grocery store today...I dread it more than my gynecologist and I really hate that place!

Yes I am aware that I am weird...

2 comments:

misguidedmommy said...

dude are you kidding me, i went to the store yesterday, let me see how much i spent...k i spent 116.64. that was for this week, i went twice last week spending 60ish each time, and at 3 weeks ago i went and spent almost 300 thinking i wouldn't have to go back at all, which never happens, i always have to go back ALWAYS. So...I would say, how the fuck do you spend so little money, how are you guys not wasting away? Holy shit. Next time you go, you should tell yourself, at least I don't have Shannons check out totals. Lisa goes weekly and what she does is every sunday she writes down a general menu and then buys only what she will need to last him till the next sunday and she does quite well with that. I've also noticed that walmart is often cheaper then winco.

Stephanie said...

I am totally with you. I hate shopping and will do whatever it takes not to go. It gets as bad as me watching my cupboards get bare and there being nothing but three things in my refrigerator. So I feel you!