Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Student Teaching

Well today was an interesting day. This is my first blog about my student teacher. She is a really nice girl I like her, but she just isn't as great of a teacher as she thinks she is. Last week she had a rough week teaching math. She messed up all four lessons either teaching the wrong one, using the wrong page, or not using the correct vocabulary. Now you have to understand that I am very very protective of my kids. If they don't seem to be understanding something as a whole class, I understand that I probably didn't teach it in a way that they understood. If one or two kids don't get it, then I sit with them and just teach a little more. But I don't go "oh ridiculous how could they not get that!". Yeah she did. And that doesn't fly with me at all. My kids are good kids...yes I teach in Stead no that does not mean I teach all white trash, ghetto kids. My kids are smart and I will not let you tell me otherwise.

Anyway...today was her first day having her supervisor come out and observe her. Now I will watch her teach and I give her some constructive criticism and tell her the things that she is doing well. She acts like she takes constructive criticism well...however she just looks at me like "hmm thanks but you don't know what you are talking about". We are the same age so I think that has something to do with it. Irregardless, it is MY classroom and MY kids and therefore what I SAY GOES! She doesn't seem to understand this rule of thumb. When I did my student teaching if my lead teacher told me what do to, I did it. I took it that she knew what she was talking about because she had been teaching for a while not to mention she knew these kids better than I did at the time. My student teacher acts like what I say means nothing. I'm rambling...let me get to the point.

Today her supervisor watched the lesson. I am expecting this woman to notice some of the same things I did otherwise I am going to feel like I know nothing. Well she does notice that she lacks enthusiasm, she seems sketchy in her teaching and overall she is going to need a lot of modeling. Ok so I think great I am on the right track when I am telling her this stuff. Well the supervisor writes down all these GREAT things that she does and really doesn't tell her that she needs anything to work on. Well after she leaves I'm kind of trying to tell my student teacher that this doesn't mean that she is wonderful in a nice way and she goes well i think she just told me a bunch of shit today. I said oh! My student teacher said that she didn't give her anything that she could work on. I always give her things. I'm thinking that she is hating the stuff I give her. Turns out she actually appreaciates it. Go me!

Here's the kicker....WHY THE HELL DOESN'T SHE WORK ON ANY OF THE THINGS THAT I AM TELLING HER????

Then she goes on to tell me that if she thought that I overstepped my boundaries she would let me know...funny...it's my classroom and I'd be the ones overstepping my boundaries...hmm no no!! This is after she tells me that she DOES NOT have to show me her journal because it's just between her and her supervisor because if there is a problem with the lead teachers that's where the interns get to talk about it without confronting the lead teacher...but wait she just said she would tell me if I overstepped my boundaries with her and I can't read the journal that I am supposed to check off?? Freaking contradicting girl!!!! Like I care what she writes in her journal!

Anyway look for more rambling blogs about this girl in my classroom!!

3 comments:

misguidedmommy said...

OMG we must know what that journal says! We must. Also, she sounds weird, you should pee in her ice cream. Maybe you should make your own journal that she can read and title it, why you suck at teaching!!! Hmmm am I PMSing because I feel like I'm being a little rude here. Naww, nope its all deserved.

angie said...

ok you are right I do want to know what her journal says!! Dave pointed out that she must have written something about me if she was so quick to not share it...now I am curious...I must find it! And I should make a journal and title it why you suck at teaching!! That's funny stuff!

misguidedmommy said...

okay, so i guess a lot of people actually post responses on their comments. i don't do it cuz i dont think people actually go back and look at my comments like i look at all of theirs maically. so hmmm, maybe i should post responses. weird