Thursday, February 15, 2007

Student Teaching part annoying

So student teaching is getting a little better. Now just the little things annoy me. Her teaching instruction is on her way to getting a little better...but it's still not that great. I figure that she is just learning and that's ok she shouldnt' be close to perfect yet. HOWEVER, when I tell her something, she should probably take that into account and try to make things better. So the other day I tell her that she needs to not talk to the students and have them talking while other kids are taking a test (it's a specific district test, not just like a regular math test). She gets all huffy and argues back with me...I blew up. I had had enough of the attitude when I ask her something or tell her how something is supposed to be done in the classroom.

So today her supervisor comes in again. I am talking to her in the back and she is telling me how she thinks that my student teacher isn't doing that well and she is really appreciative that I am working with her so much and that she is going to keep a close eye on her becuase she is really sketchy in her teaching and in her lesson plans. Ok so someone other than me is seeing these things. The supervisor actually talked to my principal about her...and that's not good because he doesn't think that she is doing a good job. That is good. today her lesson actually went pretty well. She took some advice I gave her and did a nice job. But the supervisor only wrote down how wonderful she was! HELLO WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO ALL THE THINGS THAT SHE WAS TELLING ME THAT SHE NEEDED TO WORK ON???? So I had to be the bad guy again and tell her again everything that her supervisor really said she needed to work on and I also was the only one who wrote anything down about the lesson that she could improve on.

I don't sugar coat shit. I don't have time for people to mess up the hard work that I do with my kids. I don't by any means think I am wonder teacher and teach perfect...but I know that I do a good job. that's why my principal asked me to take on a student teacher because he knew that I would not allow her to become anything that the best. He is a new principal at our school this year and he is great. He really backs his teachers and does a good job at our school. His exact compliment was that I have a very direct way of teaching...if I come to a wall, I don't let it stop me...I plow right through it and I drag each kid right behind with me so that they are all up to speed. That's a really nice compliment...he tells me I do a good job, but if I asked he would also tell me something that I could improve on. That's how I am I seek out some kind of constructive criticism so that I can improve and become that wonder teacher.

I hope I can pass that on to my student teacher...and I hope that her supervisor starts writing down the things she needs to work on instead of just telling me that she is nervous about how her teaching is going!

1 comment:

misguidedmommy said...

I am so shocked that her supervisor is doing that. I can't believe she would just tell her she was doing well. That is so inappropriate for a teach and supervisor to do. She needs to let her know what she is really doing wrong. Eww I can't believe there are still people out there who wouldn't think about the kids and who would just be scared to hurt someones feelings.