Monday, April 21, 2008

Chapter 16: My Birthday Dinner

We buried my mom the day before my birthday. On my birthday, Steve finally called. By this point in time, there was no reason for me to stay in Winnemucca. It was time for me to head home and start to adjust to life without my mom. So that afternoon, I hugged my family, shed some tears and drove back to Reno.

That Sunday (my birthday was Saturday) was the day that Dave came home. Remember I was picking him up from the airport. This was the thing that was going to prove to me that life went on and things that were planned would still happen even though she was gone. Seemed pretty trivial now, but it made sense to me at the time. When I arrived at the airport I was thrilled to see Dave. He gave me a hug because he could clearly see that I needed one. We drove to Fernley so that I could take him to his dad's house. We talked about the funeral, we talked about his trip to Arizona and then I dropped him off. He swore to me that he would be there that night for my birthday dinner. At this point in our friendship...Dave was a flake! He often made plans and then just didn't show or just told you he would come to get you off his back. But I knew that tonight he would show because he knew I needed him to be there. I needed my friends around me to make life feel somewhat normal.

We went to Outback and all the girls were there. Monica, Heidi, Teela. And all the boys were there. Kenny, Steve, our other friend Steve, and Eric. EVERYONE EXCEPT DAVE! Steve made the incredibly retarded choice to bring his sister with him...have I mentioned I HATE HER! Why yes I have...please refer to Chapter 6: The Skank! So now Dave isn't there and I am texting him and calling him...no response. How could he seriously pull his flakiness at a time like this? Was he really that much of an ass that he couldn't see that even as just a friend I really really needed him there? Apparently so!

The one person I really wanted to be there totally stood me up and the person I disliked the most was now there! Wonderful...Happy freaking Birthday!

2 comments:

misguidedmommy said...

dude...you never tell us why he stood you up

Shawna said...

Yea why did he stand you up?

Actually I have spent a large part of my life being a huge flake so I can't be too hard on him. I am not a flake anymore Q straightened me right up.