Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Wedding Assistance

I think this is a fitting post after my last one...it proves that I really value your opinions and want your advice. I need some wedding advice and assistance.

Issue #1 - Registry
Ever since we got engaged and I set up our wedding website, I have had this cool little calendar thing that tells me when I should do things. Like start looking at hair styles now because you probably think that you don't need to look until like a month before the wedding. Or you should order your dresses by now so that you aren't freaking out when they aren't here in time. Some of the things have been really helpful because they might have been things that I overlooked and the website in general gives some pretty good wedding tips. Other things have just been kind of a joke on there and apparently I can't seem to think of one right now...but just things that I would never do at my wedding anyway, but I guess they didn't make the checklist for me, they made it for all to use. I digress...the registry was one of the things that has already come up and I was surprised at how early it was on there. So we followed suit and got excited that we could go register for things and walk around the store making a wonderful wishlist. Well that was all fine and dandy till we got to the store.

First place I wanted to go was to the towels section...I thought it would be fun to pick out decorations and colors for our bathroom since really only our guest bathroom has a theme. Of course I wanted to go with like a dark burgandy and a black for our bathroom. He said no. Wait what...I'm making a wish list here and you are telling me no??!?!! Ok I must consider your feelings too. He then states to me that he really doesn't like dark towels and that we should go with something lighter because dark towels leave fuzzies. I want dark because dark hides any possible stains that may never come out! Then I start thinking to myself and I say "Self...why in the hell are you taking his opinion on this because he is fucking color blind!!!!" We are now off to a bad start because I feel he is just being a pissy pain in my ass making the section I looked forward to the most a disaster!

We move on to bedding...nope can't agree on anything there. I figure let's go over to appliances because we do have some common ground there. We knew that we wanted to register for a griddle and an omelete pan. Found those and got them on the list. Got some glasses that we could agree on and that was about it. After spending like an hour and a half there we registered for maybe 20 things. And the freaking towels that are on there match the ones we already have in our guest bathroom! Figured we could use the same colors and have two sets so stuff still matches. We also got silverware and some fun little margarita glasses. I wanted some wine glasses and then we headed to pots and such. Here in lies the problem. We don't have a clue what we should be registering for!!!

Yes Bed Bath and Beyond give you this lovely little list that you can follow as a guideline of what most people register for and such. But you see we aren't most people. I am by no means Emeril, I more rank under Chef Boy-R-D! Dave can cook and so obviously we will be registering for pans and pots that I will someday hopefully be able to use. Knives...I expect Shannon's expertise here because I want some good kitchen knives.

What did you guys all register for? What was the one thing that you registered for that you were so excited to get or you couldn't wait to get it? Or what was something that you registered for that you really wish you hadn't? I have heard that you can get carried away and you really only want to register for things that you will actually use. There's the first area I would like your advice. If you go to www.bedbathandbeyond.com you can type in Angie Plaza or David Reeder and find our registry. I have the number somewhere but am too lazy to leave the computer to get it! You can see how far we got and see the few things we already have and make suggestions from there. See that I have added nothing as we went and did this back in like February I think!

Issue #2 - Flowers
I am not a flower person...I like them yes but not all the time. I like to get roses once in a while but not for every occassion. Therefore I have not a clue on flowers. We are getting married in the fall and our colors are chocolate brown, wine and ivory. Let me know some good flowers and color arraingments. I'm not sure how I feel about all the "fall" colors that I have heard should be in our bouquets. I'm not a huge orange color person so I would have to see it arrainged to see if I like it in a bouquet. I would like roses to be a main theme, but I would also like to have simple bouquets.

9 comments:

Stephanie said...

Ugh, that has to be frustrating. I think that your list looks good. You can't really go off everyone else, but more along what you guys need and want (at least that is how I think).

Anonymous said...

We registed for everything. We had already lived together so honestly everything we needed we had. But it was nice getting newer better stuff than the cheap stuff you buy when you are 18 years old and just moving out on your own. I think my favorite thing I got was my dishes. They weren't fancy or anything, but a good pretty set.

Anonymous said...

Also on the flowers. Ordering your flowers is pretty fun, a bit overwhelming but fun. For the bridesmaids you could do a wine colored rose with white calla lilies. I think that would be really pretty.

misguidedmommy said...

k. ready.

you should go with the ..

no. i am going to have to email you. sorry, i have a ton to say

but, GO WITH LIGHT TOWELS. sorry but dark towels look ridiculous!

Lainey-Paney said...

we registered for a ton of kitchen stuff.
:)
loved it.
pots & pans
china
nice glasses
small kitchen appliances

Shawna said...

I will check out your registry and get back to you. I like light towels too.

Jen said...

Erick and I didn't think we needed anything, and almost didn't register- but once we got to registering we realized we needed more than we thought. We also had the opposite problem of you and Dave. Neither one of us wanted to make the other one unhappy so we could never make a decision... We're like "what do YOU want... NO, what do YOU want.." Ugh annoying.

In any case, I think your registry looks good so far. I think the things we got the most use out of are our sheets, pillows, towels, we got a nice set of stainless steel flatwear, dishes and everyday drinking glasses...

Can't help you with the flowers if you don't like fall colors. I think that fall arrangements are Gorgeous! I went with all daisies at my wedding... not the most creative but they are my favorite.

Shawna said...

Okay so like I checked your registry out. So far so good, but girl you need to register for A LOT more stuff. :-)

One thing that my sister talked me into registering for that I wasn't stoked about at the time but am now glad I did was fine china.

WE probably got the most use out of our down comforter, kitchen aid upright mixer, and towels. We also got some really nice picture frames that we didn't register for but that came in handy especially after the wedding when we had so many great pictures to frame and give to people.

Anonymous said...

Yes! Yes! Don't forget the China. I just realized how important it was when my mom used her China a few weeks ago. Have fun and definitely add more stuff especially for your new FULL bed!